Monday, November 25, 2013

Music is just one of my muses.

Most of you know about my current project, Hard of Heart.  If you don't and would like to know more about Kaleb Hunter and his upcoming story about war, love, acceptance, and coming home, feel free to click on the FAQ tab to read all aobut it. 

I get asked a lot about my writing process.  First, I spend quite a bit of time, talking to myself about my characters.  Their favorite colors, their childhood stories, quirks, preferences, ect.  Then I plan out my story to make sure everything fits together and I have a clear idea of the messages I want to get across. Next is research.  Lots and lots of it.  I want things to be accurate and as realistic as possible.  Fiction always has some level of unbelievable in them, because they are fictional.  We have to squeeze in as much juice as we can in just so many pages so it doesn't come off as superfluous.  I know that some of you wish all of your favorite books were 500 pages...but I can guarentee that you woldn't love them as much if they anything but exactly what they are. 

Lastly... I go music hunting.  I find songs old and new that have the same general tone as what I want the reader to experience.  I compile them into a playlist and put that sucker on repeat.  I add as I go, but for the most part I put a few hours worth of music together before I even start writing.

Music is a big part of my life.  I ALWAYS listen to the lyrics and everytime I hear a new song I love, I get inspired.  Sometimes it gives me a new character, or a break up scene, or a childhood event, or a love scene to put into one of my books, but I always get something out of a great song. 

Everyone who's been following my process for Hard of Heart knows how important this story is to me.  Therefore, so was the playlist.  I think it's so great that I want to share it with you right now, before I'm even halfway through writing Kaleb and Alexa's story. 

Go forth and listen.  Enjoy the feels, dance to the rythm of the journey of love.  Teehee  ♥

Spotify:
Hard of Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment